Nonprofit raises funds and awareness through annual special events and sales of pink bows
Dec. 1, 2014, Charlotte, N.C…BCC Rally has concluded its 11th year of raising funds and awareness for breast cancer by announcing a gift of $199,000 to Komen Charlotte, the result of hosting a weeklong series of fundraising events in Sept. The donation is comprised of $116,000 from sponsorship support and the special events and $83,000 from pink bow sales.
The amount reinforces the nonprofit’s distinction as the largest Rally organization in the U.S. since 2008 and Komen Charlotte’s largest single donor.
BCC Rally raises awareness about breast cancer and offers financial support for Rally for the Cure® to benefit Susan G. Komen®.
Of the total funds, 75% will benefit local breast health organizations that provide screenings, treatment and education to under-insured and uninsured residents. The remaining 25% goes to the Susan. G. Komen National Research Fund. With early detection of breast cancer being critical to survival, BCC Rally’s contribution equates to approximately 750 mammograms. Breast cancer is the second most common form of cancer in women.
Sue Dockstader, president of BCC Rally, an all-volunteer nonprofit, presented a ceremonial check for $199,000 to Tami Simmons, executive director of Komen Charlotte, and Park Williams, Komen Charlotte board president, at BCC Rally’s recent wrap-up event at The Aloft Hotel in Ballantyne. The donation is comprised of $116,000 from the special events and $83,000 from pink bow sales.
“BCC Rally measures success in saving lives,” Dockstader said. “We accomplish this by spreading awareness about the importance of early detection and mammograms, raising funds for diagnostics and educational materials, and contributing to the discovery of life-saving drugs and treatments.”
Simmons acknowledged Komen Charlotte’s special partnership with BCC Rally, calling its dedicated and passionate volunteers our “go-to people” for helping to provide funds that Komen Charlotte uses to fund grants in its 13-county service area. Komen Charlotte currently is funding 17 grantees, Simmons said, and so far this year has referred more than 400 people to breast health services in the community. At the national level, Komen, the largest nonprofit funder of breast cancer research outside of the U.S. government, has invested more than $847 million in research since 1982. At present, Komen is funding nine research grants in N.C. totaling $2 million.
“Your $199,000 contribution will go a long way to help us increase those numbers and save lives,” Simmons told the crowd.
BCC Rally hosts an annual week of signature fundraising events at Ballantyne Country Club. This year the five events ran from Sept. 21-27 and were: Walk and Wag Pink-a-thon family and dog 5K walk, Ladies’ Golf and Luncheon, Men’s Golf, Ladies’ Tennis and Luncheon, and the new Denim & Diamonds evening event. In addition, BCC Rally conducts the Pink Bow Campaign. In exchange for small donations of $2, $5 and $7, BCC Rally offers custom-designed bows in pink, the iconic color of the breast cancer movement, for businesses, neighborhoods, schools, churches, other nonprofits, and community groups worldwide to “pink up” in a show of support for the cause.